Re: X applications won't run after xorg upgrade [Update]

Florian Kulzer(florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl) is reported to have said:
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 17:56:50 -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > Wayne Topa(linuxone@intergate.com) is reported to have said:

[ big snip of OP]

> > This is interesting.  I do not have the /etc/X11/xserver directory at all!
> >
> > Would appreciate it if someone with a working xorg could tell me which package
> > contains the '/etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy' file.
>
> The SecurityPolicy file on my system seems to have come from the old
> xserver-common package (6.9.0.dfsg.1-6). The new xserver-xorg package
> replaces xserver-common, but the SecurityPolicy was left in place during
> the upgrade; it is obviously treated as a configuration file. You can
> extract the file from the old package with "dpkg-deb -X". If you do not
> have the package in your apt archives anymore you can download it to
> some temporary directory with "aptitude download"; this can be done as a
> normal user and it does not change your installation.
>
> My permissions are as follows:
>
> $ ls -ld /etc/X11/xserver/
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-04-05 13:28 /etc/X11/xserver/
>
> $ ls -l /etc/X11/xserver/
> total 4
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2925 2004-04-28 20:20 SecurityPolicy

Thanks for this Florian, you have moved me one step further.
As a quick test I created /etc/X11/xserver/ and only touched
SecurityPolicy. the permissions match yours.

Now all users can log into X!!!! SecurityPolicy, is empty!

I've seen some strange problems with upgrades to unstable but this
xorg7 upgrade in etch was the strangest yet.

I still see some odd messages, such as
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/TTF/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/OTF, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/CID/, removing from list!

The TTF,OTF,CID paths are not in the xorg.conf list of fonts so _something_
else is is looking for those fonts and throwing that error.

So, all in all, xorg is finally working, thanks to you Florian.  You provided
all the missing links to get me going.  Thank you!

Oh, and I changed the permissions back to what they should be on /var/log,
and it continues to work.

Best Regards

Wayne