Re: X applications won't run after xorg upgrade

On 6/8/06, Wayne Topa <linuxone@intergate.com> wrote:
Florian Kulzer(florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl) is reported to have said:

> A number of people seem to have problems with the upgrade, so maybe we
> should compare which packages are installed in each case. I have a
> working Xorg 7.0 on Sid and these are my installed x... packages
> (without fonts and dev):

[cut list]

> Maybe someone with a working Xorg 7.0 on Etch can run the same command
> so that the people with problems can compare this output to what is
> reported on their boxes. (Please add to the dpkg query if necessary; I
> might have forgotten something important.)

I upgraded Etch and my list is the same as you posted.  X does works for
root but not for any other user.  (Not a good idea to run X as root tho)
     try this:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure x11-common

When anyone else logs in the error is
--------------------------------
 "Fatal server error:
  Cannot move old log file ("/var/log/Xorg.0.log" to "/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old"
-------------------------------

This can be overcome by changing permissions to /var/log to allow the log to be
changed.  (Not a very good idea but had to see why the error occured)

With the log permissions changed, a new error pops up:
"Fatal server error:
xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted)"

XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

I have not been able to find the reason for this error, yet.

Wayne

--
The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much.