Re: X applications won't run after xorg upgrade

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 08:49:19 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 12:40:03AM +0300, devnull@plugthebox.net wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'm on testing, after an upgrade for xorg and all xserver dependencies
> > some applications such as rdesktop/Xnest/ppracer  don't seem to work
> > anymore.
> > i made sure that all dependencies are well installed, it turned out that
> > xserver-common gives me:
> > The following packages have unmet dependencies.
> >   xserver-common: Depends: x11-common (>= 6.8.1) but it is not going to
> > be installed
> > E: Broken packages
> >
> > which is weird since x11-common is installed and X is running, i'm
> > currently on GDM/Fluxbox/Firefox/Evolution/Mozilla only
> > rdesktop/Xnest/ppracer give me the following error messages:
> >
> > sadus@exodus:~$ rdesktop IP
> > X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
> > operation)
> >   Major opcode of failed request:  78 (X_CreateColormap)
> >   Value in failed request:  0x0
> >   Serial number of failed request:  7
> >   Current serial number in output stream:  8

[...]

> I have the same problem in spades - X Windows wont start at all.
>
> I tried apt-get install xserver-common and got the unmet dependencies
> message with the statement X11-common is not going to be installed.

Don't worry about this. The new xserver-xorg package replaces
xserver-common (see for yourself with "apt-cache show xserver-xorg").

> I tried apt-get -f install and got the message "0 upgraded, 0 newly
> installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded."
>
> I tried apt-get install X11-common and got the message that the newest
> version is already installed.

A number of people seem to have problems with the upgrade, so maybe we
should compare which packages are installed in each case. I have a
working Xorg 7.0 on Sid and these are my installed x... packages
(without fonts and dev):

$ dpkg -l x{org,11,server,base,utils}\* | awk '/^ii/{print $2,$3}' | grep -v '\-dev '
x11-common 7.0.20
xbase-clients 7.0.1-2
xorg 7.0.20
xserver-xorg 7.0.20
xserver-xorg-core 1.0.2-8
xserver-xorg-input-all 7.0.20
xserver-xorg-input-evdev 1.1.2-1
xserver-xorg-input-kbd 1.0.1.3-2
xserver-xorg-input-mouse 1.0.4-3
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 0.14.5-1
xserver-xorg-input-wacom 0.7.4.1-3
xserver-xorg-video-all 7.0.20
xserver-xorg-video-apm 1.0.1.5-2
xserver-xorg-video-ark 0.5.0.5-2
xserver-xorg-video-ati 6.5.8.0-1
xserver-xorg-video-chips 1.0.1.3-3
xserver-xorg-video-cirrus 1.0.0.5-2
xserver-xorg-video-cyrix 1.0.0.5-2
xserver-xorg-video-dummy 0.1.0.5-2
xserver-xorg-video-fbdev 0.1.0.5-2
xserver-xorg-video-glint 1.0.1.3-3
xserver-xorg-video-i128 1.1.0.5-2
xserver-xorg-video-i740 1.0.0.5-2
xserver-xorg-video-i810 1.5.1.0-2
xserver-xorg-video-imstt 1.0.0.5-2
xserver-xorg-video-mga 1.2.1.3.dfsg.1-2
xserver-xorg-video-neomagic 1.0.0.5-2
xserver-xorg-video-newport 0.1.4.1-3
xserver-xorg-video-nsc 2.7.6.5-2
xserver-xorg-video-nv 1.0.1.5-2
xserver-xorg-video-rendition 4.0.1.3.dfsg.1-2
xserver-xorg-video-s3 0.3.5.4-3
xserver-xorg-video-s3virge 1.8.6.5-2
xserver-xorg-video-savage 2.0.2.3-4
xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion 1.3.1.5-3
xserver-xorg-video-sis 0.8.1.3-2
xserver-xorg-video-sisusb 0.7.1.3-2
xserver-xorg-video-tdfx 1.1.1.3-3
xserver-xorg-video-tga 1.0.0.5-3
xserver-xorg-video-trident 1.0.1.2-2
xserver-xorg-video-tseng 1.0.0.5-2
xserver-xorg-video-v4l 0.0.1.5-1
xserver-xorg-video-vesa 1.0.1.3-2
xserver-xorg-video-vga 4.0.0.5-2
xserver-xorg-video-via 0.1.33.2-3
xserver-xorg-video-vmware 10.11.1.3-2
xserver-xorg-video-voodoo 1.0.0.5-2
xutils 7.0.0-3

Maybe someone with a working Xorg 7.0 on Etch can run the same command
so that the people with problems can compare this output to what is
reported on their boxes. (Please add to the dpkg query if necessary; I
might have forgotten something important.)

--
Regards,
          Florian