Re: X applications won't run after xorg upgrade

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 12:40:03AM +0300, devnull@plugthebox.net wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm on testing, after an upgrade for xorg and all xserver dependencies
> some applications such as rdesktop/Xnest/ppracer  don't seem to work
> anymore.
> i made sure that all dependencies are well installed, it turned out that
> xserver-common gives me:
> The following packages have unmet dependencies.
>   xserver-common: Depends: x11-common (>= 6.8.1) but it is not going to
> be installed
> E: Broken packages
>
> which is weird since x11-common is installed and X is running, i'm
> currently on GDM/Fluxbox/Firefox/Evolution/Mozilla only
> rdesktop/Xnest/ppracer give me the following error messages:
>
> sadus@exodus:~$ rdesktop IP
> X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
> operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  78 (X_CreateColormap)
>   Value in failed request:  0x0
>   Serial number of failed request:  7
>
> sadus@exodus:~$ Xnest -ac :2
> X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
> operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  78 (X_CreateColormap)
>   Value in failed request:  0x0
>   Serial number of failed request:  7
>
> sadus@exodus:~$ ppracer
> PPRacer 0.3.1 --  http://racer.planetpenguin.de
> (c) 2004-2005 The PPRacer team
> (c) 1999-2001 Jasmin F. Patry<jfpatry@sunspirestudios.com>
> PPRacer comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
> and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
> See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for details.
>
> X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
> operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  78 (X_CreateColormap)
>   Value in failed request:  0x0
>   Serial number of failed request:  23
>

> thanks in advance,
> --
> devnull@plugthebox.net <devnull@plugthebox.net>

I have the same problem in spades - X Windows wont start at all.

I tried apt-get install xserver-common and got the unmet dependencies
message with the statement X11-common is not going to be installed.

I tried apt-get -f install and got the message "0 upgraded, 0 newly
installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded."

I tried apt-get install X11-common and got the message that the newest
version is already installed.

Tom George