Re: X applications won't run after xorg upgrade [Update]

Wayne Topa(linuxone@intergate.com) is reported to have said:
> swhe(amalgam.swhe@gmail.com) is reported to have said:

> > >[cut list]

> > >I upgraded Etch and my list is the same as you posted.  X does works for
> > >root but not for any other user.  (Not a good idea to run X as root tho)
> >      try this:
> >     sudo dpkg-reconfigure x11-common
>
> Sorry, I mentioned in a previous post that I had done all the
> suggestions at http://wiki.x.org.  That included running
> dpkg-reconfigure x11-common.  I have tried Console Users Only as well
> as anyone, with the same results, only root can start X.

Still trying to get Xorg running and did a reinstall of a bunch of
xorg packages.  It seems that there is a problem with x11-common.

Running 'aptitude reinstall x11-common' the file size shows a 279K
package but the package in the archive directory is 273K.  This error
shows up when aptitude is unpacking the file
-------
E: Sub-process gzip returned an error code (100)
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/x11-common_1%3a7.0.20_i386.deb
debconf: apt-extracttemplates failed: Bad file descriptor
------------

BUT, users can get past the original error I reported and now show a new error.
------------
error opening security policy file /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy

This is interesting.  I do not have the /etc/X11/xserver directory at all!

Would appreciate it if someone with a working xorg could tell me which package
contains the '/etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy' file.

I will try getting the x11-common package from another source and try again.

Wayne

--
If your computer says, "Printer out of Paper," this problem cannot be
resolved by continuously clicking the "OK" button.