Re: Can I stay in testing without going etch?

On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 02:58:30PM -0500, Owen Heisler wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 22:44 +0300, Black Dew wrote:
> > > If I install Debian stable and have "stable" in the sources.list file,
> > > will updates keep happening, even across releases?  I think it would be
> > > great it I never had to reinstall, yet could still have a completely
> > > up-to-date system.
> >
> > "stable" is just a pointer to the latest release. So if you put now
> > "stable" in sources.list you'd be running Sarge.
> > When Etch gets released, "stable" will point to Etch, so your system
> > will upgrade (more or less) automatically next time you run apt-get update.
> > Also if you add the security updates repository you will get critical
> > security updates between releases.
> >
> > > Also, is the same true for unstable and testing?
> >
> > For testing: yes
> > For unstable: the unstable "release" (Sid) doesn't have releases, your
> > system will just get new packages as soon as they are available
> > (sometimes causing major breakage :))
> >
> > And yeah, it's one of the great things with debian - there is no need to
> > reinstall it whatever happens, you can always down/up-grade it to
> > whatever you want.
>
> Thanks Andrew, Paul, hendrik, & Black Dew, for all the great
> information.  Debian.org/releases/ explained the names
> (stable/testing/unstable) but not much else.
>
> I will probably follow stable unless the packages are all too old, then
> will jump to testing.  This brings up something else: if I have
> "testing" in my sources.list file and replace it with "stable" (if I
> want to go back to stable), what will aptitude do during an upgrade or
> dist-upgrade?  Will it down-grade packages or just not update them?

Downgrading is a complicated and potentially not "doable" thing. I
know many have done it for specific packages, but taking a whole
system down is another matter. That is one case where I personally
would go the reinstallation route rather than opening that can of
worms.

.02