Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> I'm not sure if that's true.  Is it society's job?  If so, does
> government enact the will of society?

    No.  That's where a whole mess comes into play.  At least in my opinion
Government's role is to get out of the way of society.  It is to set a
minimum.. BARE minimum standard of how to treat one another and from there on,
get the hell out of dodge.  It is because of two basic ideas.

1: Only government has the coercive power of law and the military.
2: Government is made up of people.

    Do you want other people to coerce you and use the military into what they
feel is a proper society?  I certainly don't.  I'm sure that many people here
would be opposed to what I consider a proper society and would not want me to
have the power of coercion and the military to back up my views.