Re: Social Contract

On Friday 28 April 2006 15:29, Steve Lamb wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Well, he could, because its worse than that, 1% of the people here
>> control 90% of the wealth according to some figures I heard on
>> C-SPAN tonight in congressional testimony.  Thats not right, and its
>> sure not a democracy.
>
>    Of course it's not a democracy.  Anyone who tells you otherwise
> doesn't have the sense to listen to the clap-trap every school child
> in public education is forced to recite daily.
>
>    I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America.
>  And to the *REPUBLIC* for which it stands...
>
>    Have you heard the other side of those figures?  How about 50% of
> the people don't pay taxes.  In fact a large portion get free money.
> Explain exactly how that part is democratic and you'll win a prize.
> No, I'm not joking, it is exactly that behavior which is why we're
> supposed to live in a republic and not a democracy.

Are you saying that the social security I get every month is somehow
free?  Thats not exactly how I see it.  That money was withheld from my
wages, largely against my better judgement, over a period exceeding 50
years by the time I quit showing up everyday for work in favor of a
weekly visit to the transmitter and basicly an on-call basis since mid
2002.  Had I been able to invest that money in a simple compounding
interest savings account, it would be worth much for than a million
dollars by now, and I could live quite nicely on the interest alone.

But by law, I had to contribute to this great ponzi scheme over all
those years so now, the amount I get per month is not enough should I
suddenly find myself alone, to allow me the luxury of this dsl account,
or to simply write a check when we need a new vehicle like I did back
in October of last year when our caravan was going to pot electrically,
and it (a 97) got traded for a 99 GMC King Cab with a few of the
trimmins that usually go with such.  Same gas mileage as the caravan
got, 3000 lbs heavier, drives like its on rails.  Many times higher
quality of construction than anything Mopar Inc has made since about
the middle 60's.

As I told Jay Rockefeller in the hallway at the tv station about 15
years ago when they were first making noises about "adjusting social
security", and I quote: "I'm a hunter, and a good shot, and when I get
ready to claim social security, it had damned well better be there, or
I might just come hunting.", leaving it to Jay to figure out what it
was I might come hunting for.  I suspect neither he nor his secretaries
who were scribbling furiously had any trouble at all understanding
exactly what I was saying.  The point being that I did want to make the
opinion of at least one of his constituents fully understood.  I
believe I succeeded.  There was no doubt about the tone of my voice at
the time.  None.

Now, what was it you were saying?

--
Cheers, Gene