Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

Mumia W wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

>>> Yes, they are. I was educated in a public school.
>>>
>> As was I.  That is exactly the reason why none of my children will
>> *ever* go to a public school.  I like to think that I am succeeding
>> in life *in spite* of the fact that I went to public school.
>>

> Not everyone has the choice that you have. For *most* people, it's
> either a free education, or no education. That's why public schools are
> needed.

But it's not free.  It still costs.  The government is just taking the
money from you (and everyone else) instead of giving you a choice.

I never said Debian was a great OS :-)

>>> No they are not. A few, knowledgeable individuals *might* be better
>>> off, or they might screw up and choose the wrong investments and
>>> lose most of it.
>>>
>> So, you believe that people are fundamentally stupid and need the
>> government to babysit them?
>>

> A person doesn't have to be stupid to not want to have to learn about
> that stuff. And yes, even the stupid *deserve* retirement security.

This is not the government's job.

>>> The idea behind the Social Security system is that you shouldn't
>>> have to know anything about stocks, bond or any other securities to
>>> have your retirement protected.
>>>
>> That is why you hire someone who is an expert to do it for you.
>>

> The experts at the Social Security Administration *are* doing it, and
> they're doing an incredibly efficient job at it too. Social Security has
> less than 1% administrative overhead. No private retirement options come
> even close.

Uh, according to http://www.fool.com/school/basics/basics04.htm:

"Administrative costs are the costs of recordkeeping, mailings,
maintaining a customer service line, etc. These are all necessary costs,
though they vary in size from fund to fund. The thriftiest funds can
keep these costs below 0.2% of fund assets, while the ones who use
engraved paper, colorful graphics, and phone answerers with
high-falutin' accents might fail to bring administrative costs below
0.4% of fund assets."

So the SSA is up to 5 times more wasteful than the "thrifty" private
funds, and more than twice as wasteful as the worst of them.

Besides, the gov't says that it is actually 2%
(http://www.cbo.gov/showdoc.cfm?index=5277&sequence=3):

"Nevertheless, the $11 charge represents about 2 percent of the average
contribution under a system of private accounts with contributions of 2
percent of payroll ($547 in 2001); assuming that percentage remained
constant over time, the costs would reduce assets in an account at
retirement by an identical 2 percent."

>>> And your retirement money shouldn't be entirely dependent upon the
>>> twists and turns of the business cycle.
>>>
>> If you are smart they won't.  Even if you are not smart, if you have
>> the wherewithal to hire someone who is, they won't.
>> [...]
>

> Those people you'd hire screw up all the time, and they screw their
> customers half the time. Social Security doesn't have that problem.
> Social Security doesn't have fund managers that run off with all the
> money. Social Security doesn't have brokers that churn and burn your
> retirement nest egg. Social Security doesn't make risky investments just
> to make a quick buck, and when their values collapse, they write you a
> letter  saying, "We invested in those ultra-high-yielding junk bonds
> because we wanted you to get a lot of money, but now the bonds are
> worthless, and we lost all your money. But it's not really our fault
> because you were stupid enough to trust us."
>
> Social Security is not driven by a high profit motive; it's purpose is
> to provide stable retirement income to people, and it does a fantastic
> job of that.

There are funds out there that specialize in low risk investment.  Some
people are very risk tolerant and others are not.  That is a personal
decision, not one that should be made by the government.

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto