Re: Social Contract

Steve Lamb wrote:
Mumia W wrote:
Perhaps, Steve, you should have read this section:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme#Are_national_retirement_programs_Ponzi_schemes.3F

That section explains why national retirement schemes are *not* ponzi
schemes.

    What makes you think I didn't.  I read the entire page before posting.
Just because it is on Wikipedia doesn't make it gospel.  And just because
Someone wants to nitpick that it isn't a ponzi scheme based on two dubious
claims[1] doesn't change the the basic principle.  I'm very much with Thomas
Sowell when it comes to what Social Security is.

[1] Those being that just because it doesn't make outlandish claims of
immediate returns.  However it does make an outlandish claim of extended
returns.  The second is that somehow the state using it's power of taxation
somehow makes it alright.

Social Security is a government program. There's nothing wrong about
using taxes to support a government program.

Lemme see, suckering someone to give you their
money of their own free will = bad.  Forcing someone to give you their money
even if they don't want to = good!

It's part of the upkeep of the society.

Sorry, I don't buy into the notion that
the state's power of taxation changes the fundamental nature of the beast.

The fundamental nature of social security was never illegal or unethical.

    Besides, that section of the page is flawed by the very facts in this
nation. It says that since the state can tax the scheme won't fail. Yet what are we facing here in this nation?

It's not Social Security that's failing. It's your Republican President
and Congress that have failed. The entire problem with Social Security's
funding is that the President cut taxes five times.

Oh, right, the collapse of the Social
Security system in the mid 2020s.  Sorry, already saw the man behind the
curtain, Mumia.  Might I suggest before you take anything on Wikipedia as
gospel you do a minute amount of critical thinking.  Flaws like the above
aren't hard to spot.

There is no flaw in the logic of a government program being supported by
taxes.

You're right Steve. The flaw isn't hard to spot. It's the Republican
Party that is the flaw. It's now the current policy of the Republican party to "Starve the Beast," that is, to wreck the country's finances so thoroughly that Social Security and a host of other government programs have to be scrapped or privatized.

There is no problem with Social Security that cannot be easily fixed with a change of administration and Congressional leadership. The Democrats have no vested interest in destroying the New Deal.