Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

On 2006-04-30, Roberto C. Sanchez penned:
> Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, I think your point here is a red herring.  If education is
>> entirely privatized, schools will follow the money, and poor areas
>> won't have the pull for really great education.  The military, by
>> the way, doesn't pay its troops all that well.
>
> So, poor areas don't have things like restaurants and retail
> establishments?  The point is, that even poor will need education.

Sure, poor areas have McDonald's, WalMart, and Dollar Tree.  Not so many
organic food markets and Gucci stores, I think.  I guess I could be
wrong; I haven't extensively toured poor neighborhoods to check.

> Here is another concept: you value you what you have to pay for.  I
> know that I am more appreciative of the things which I have had to
> earn through hard work than of those which were freebies.

There's certainly a point to this.  My high school martial arts
instructor was adamant that he didn't give financial need based
discounts, because his experience was that people didn't value the
experience as much if they felt it was discounted.

But as you've pointed out (or was it someone else?  Too many people
... ), people *do* pay for education.  Or do you think the kids should
pay for it themselves?  Hrm, interesting thought ...

--
monique

Help us help you: