Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

On 2006-04-30, Roberto C. Sanchez penned:
> Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>> By the way, the reason I'm so interested in this discussion is
>> because it *is* a tough question for me.  I don't know the right
>> answer.
>
> I think the problem is that we have moved away from familial
> responsibility.  There was a time when family and the local
> community took care of these things.  Once parents aged to where
> they could not care for themselves, the children cared for them.
> That sort of thing.  Of course, I don't know the right answer
> either.  If I did, I would be rich, or the president, or both :-)

Unless they didn't, I guess.  Family and local community can be
awfully cruel and/or negligent.

I keep thinking, yes, yes, this would make sense for most cases, but
what about the parent who molests their children?  What about the
parent who gives the son a computer and the daughter a dollie?  (Okay,
I guess we can't legislate against that kind of crap.)

--
monique

Help us help you: