Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2006-04-30, Roberto C. Sanchez penned:
>
>>Mumia W wrote:
>>
>>>A person doesn't have to be stupid to not want to have to learn
>>>about that stuff. And yes, even the stupid *deserve* retirement
>>>security.
>>>

>>This is not the government's job.
>

> I'm not sure if that's true.  Is it society's job?  If so, does
> government enact the will of society?
>
> If a mentally unstable (but not dangerous) person's family can't
> afford to have them home cared or homed in a decent institution,
> should that person be left on the street to beg?  I have a hard time
> saying that anyone should be forced to spend money on things they
> don't want to (as taxes do), but I have a harder time saying that
> person should be on the street.
>
> By the way, the reason I'm so interested in this discussion is because
> it *is* a tough question for me.  I don't know the right answer.

I think the problem is that we have moved away from familial
responsibility.  There was a time when family and the local community
took care of these things.  Once parents aged to where they could not
care for themselves, the children cared for them.  That sort of thing.
Of course, I don't know the right answer either.  If I did, I would be
rich, or the president, or both :-)

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez