Re: lists.debian.org vs google groups

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 15:24:53 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Michelle Konzack wrote:

[...]

> >And how can recipients repond to such messages?
> >
> >They must edit every messges they want to respond...
> >Sorry, this is not serieuse at all.
>
> Oh? Well, I'd better quit posting here. My messages are
> being deleted. Or something. And nobody can reply to me.
> Except by editing my return address. But I have to edit
> the return addresses EVERY TIME I POST HERE because
> of the way the mail list is set up. So you advise that
> I quit also for that reason.
>
> >If I need to edit E-Mails to respond to someone,
> >I discard my Reponse to him/her...
>
> Reply to the list and you won't have that problem,
> will you? Or will you? I do. Every post.

The list is set up according to RFC 2369, which means it provides all
necessary information so that people can choose between replying to the
list, to the poster, or to both. Quoting from the headers of your own
message:

Your problem boils down to the fact that Thunderbird does not provide
any convenient commands to make use of that information. When I was
getting increasingly annoyed by this myself (with Mozilla Mail), I came
across the following Thunderbird extension: