Re: Using Ubuntu when I'm used to Debian.

On  5 Apr 2006, Mike McCarty wrote:

> Chris Metzler wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 14:19:12 -0400
>> Hal Vaughan wrote:
>>
>>> And that proves even more that you are not volunteering your time
>>> unless you get something for it.  That's not volunteering.
>>> Volunteering is giving without expecting a ROI.
>> This is fiction.  Everyone who volunteers gets a return on their
>> investment; without it, they wouldn't volunteer.  That "return"
>> may not be in some sort of traditional form like cash, goods, or
>> services; but if the volunteer absolutely truly got nothing out
>> of it -- no sense of satisfaction, no gladness at having been
>> able to help another, absolutely nothing -- then there is nothing
>> to drive the volunteer towards that activity as opposed to another.
>
> That isn't what he was responding to. The term the IRS uses is
> "intangible benefit", I believe. But what he referred to was
> the specific point made that what was built was built specifically
> because the builder/implementer found it useful himself, and
> for no other reason. By any definition, this is not volunteer
> work. Allowing others to use the results is a bonum, yes, perhaps
> even a mitzvah, but not volunteer work.

        So, if doing church work makes me feel good about myself, and
 helps me keep in shape, it is not longer volunteer work? If I
 volunteer time to help repair the church building for the church I
 attend, it is not volunteer work? Fascinating.

        manoj
--
The last thing one knows in constructing a work is what to put
first. Blaise Pascal