Re: OpenGL direct rendering

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 12:36:48AM -0500, cga wrote:
> Alex Nordstrom wrote:
>
> >Monday, 13 February 2006 10:06, cga wrote:
> >
> >>But thanks anyway for correcting me re: the r128 driver.. of course
> >>since the OP appears to be using xfree86 I'm not sure why direct
> >>rendering is not enabled out-of-the-box..
> >
> >Experience tells me that DRI for some of these cards is only enabled at
> >lower than the maximum colour bit depth. One might need to set
> >DefaultDepth to 16 instead of 24 in the Screen section.
> >
> Another aspect that comes to mind is the "resolution" - relative to how
> much memory is built into your video chip. At my laptop's display's
> native resolution of 1400x1050 - 16 bit color depth - and with the
> paltry 8M of memory on the ati Mach64, X starts with direct rendering
> disabled. I need to start X at a lower resolution such as 1024x768 in
> order to enable dri.

You can also debug opengl problems by setting the LIBGL_DEBUG to
verbose, i.e.
export LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose
and then running glxinfo.

You should see the reason, why the direct rendering is not enabled. If
it says something like
Cannot open /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r128_dri.so
check that the file exists.

I think the module is in the xlibmesa-dri package, so if you don't have
that installed, you could try and install it.

HTH,
Simo
--
:r ~/.signature