OpenGL and video driver

I love my debian system, but I seem to have a problem with the video being
really slow.  I can see the screen being drawn each time I log in.  I am
running testing with kernel 2.6.12-1-686

I seem to have two xservers installed, apt-cache showpkg xserver-XFree86

6.8.2.dfsg.1-11
4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge1

I believe that I am using the x-org 6.8.2, as it was the one that comes up
with dpkg-reconfigure.

Using http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ I the following for the video:

10024742	Yes	ATI Technologies Inc	Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2X	ati

Checking for the Rage 128 specific driver (lsmod | grep r128)

r128                   48512  0
drm                    67732  1 r128

and checked that the module is loaded in the kernel (modprobe -l r128)

/lib/modules/2.6.12-1-686/kernel/drivers/char/drm/r128.ko

I don't know how much memory the card has, as it is 6 years since I bought
it.  I left this blank in dpkg-reconfigure.  Is there a way to probe to
see if the cards memory is the same as what xserver sees?

When I check for OpenGL support (glxinfo | grep render) I get the following:

direct rendering: No
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

Is there a way to find out what is needed for OpenGL direct rendering to
be enabled?

Thanks in advance,

Brent