OpenGL direct rendering

I love my Debian system, but the only complaint I have is with the time it
takes for the graphics to appear.  I can see the background get repainted
everytime I log in. I think that this might be related to the video driver
not having direct rendering enabled.  I am running kernel 2.6.12-1-686
from testing with the xserver-xorg 6.8.2.dfsg.1-11.

I checked with http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ and I got the following:

10024742	Yes	ATI Technologies Inc	Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2X	ati

With discover video I get:

ATI Technologies, Inc. 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X

I seem to have two xservers on my system (apt-cache showpkg xserver-XFree86):

6.8.2.dfsg.1-11
4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge1

I believe the first is the xorg and the second is the old XFree.  When I
run discover --xserver video, I get:

XFree86

Which is the video driver I installed from dpkg-reconfigure

When I run lsmod, I get:
r128                   48512  0
drm                    67732  1 r128

I believe that r128 is the specific driver for the ATI Rage 128 chip. I
checked that this driver is in the kernel (ie. modprobe -l r128)

/lib/modules/2.6.12-1-686/kernel/drivers/char/drm/r128.ko

When I check for openGL support (glxinfo | grep render), I get the following:

direct rendering: No
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

Why am I not getting OpenGL direct rendering?  Do I have to install any
other kernel modules?

The only other thing I can think of is that I didn't manually set the
video cards memory.  I could not see this on the card itself and it was 6
years since I bought it.  Is there a way to probe the video memory?  Can I
check that this is the same as what the xserver believes?

Thanks in advance for the help,