Re: OpenGL direct rendering

Tim Connors wrote:

cga <cga2000@gmail.com> said on Sun, 12 Feb 2006 14:59:39 -0500:
Brent Bailey wrote:
ATI Technologies, Inc. 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X

I seem to have two xservers on my system (apt-cache showpkg xserver-XFree86):

6.8.2.dfsg.1-11
4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge1

dunno about the current xorg but afaik the drivers for old ati cards in xfree86 do not support dri.

Sure it could:
ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x (rev 02)
DRI was supported by the r128 driver in all the XFree 4.3 series I used.

Hell, it worked better than xorg6.9 -- I could have both XVideo and DRI
enabled at the same time, and I didn't get XV allocation errors, and X
supported me providing my own modelines, instead of being limited to
what the internal LCD could display.  Sigh.  Progress, eh?
:-D

See my current thread about getting my good old laptop + 3com PC card to connect to the network after trying recent 2.6 kernels.. Sounds like linus & Co. hate laptops or what...?? The latest instalment in this sorry saga is that I installed ubuntu 5.10.. another 2.6.12 kernel.. Tried that since at least contrary to "etch", the installer was initially able to connect to the network.. Well I just booted that brand new install a few minutes ago... and guess what..?? eth0 is up... but not configured properly: for one thing it doesn't have an IP address.. so this looks like I am going to stick with sarge & 2.4.27 for some time yet..

But thanks anyway for correcting me re: the r128 driver.. of course since the OP appears to be using xfree86 I'm not sure why direct rendering is not enabled out-of-the-box.. but then are you sure that he does have one of the chips that's supported by the r128 driver..? The video chip on my laptop turned out to be a mach/64 and lspci only outputs: VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x (rev 64) .. ok.. it does say (rev) "64".. but it took me a while to figure out that all the literature concerning the ati mach64 actually concerned me..