Re: OpenGL direct rendering

Alex Nordstrom wrote:

Monday, 13 February 2006 10:06, cga wrote:
But thanks anyway for correcting me re: the r128 driver.. of course
since the OP appears to be using xfree86 I'm not sure why direct
rendering is not enabled out-of-the-box..

Experience tells me that DRI for some of these cards is only enabled at lower than the maximum colour bit depth. One might need to set DefaultDepth to 16 instead of 24 in the Screen section.

Another aspect that comes to mind is the "resolution" - relative to how much memory is built into your video chip. At my laptop's display's native resolution of 1400x1050 - 16 bit color depth - and with the paltry 8M of memory on the ati Mach64, X starts with direct rendering disabled. I need to start X at a lower resolution such as 1024x768 in order to enable dri.