Re: New post install tidbits?

Kent West wrote:

Chinook wrote:

Yep, I have the session KDE GUI the way I want it, but I get there
>from a Gnome login screen and I can't shutdown from such without
entering the root password.

Speaking of post-install tidbits . . . here's a freebie that's
off-topic  :-)

Chinook, did you know you can run two (or more) X sessions at once?

For example, start X in whatever way you would normally start it. Now
switch to a virtual terminal, say, the second one with Ctrl-Alt-F2. Now
log in again as a different user (your wife, your alter ego, etc), and
start a second session with "startx -- :1 &".

Whereas your GUI login manager probably offers a choice of windowing
environment (KDE, Gnome, Icewm, etc), using "startx" will look to the
system default, or if you have it, to your ~/.xinitrc file. Create this
file and put in the single line containing your environment of choice
(such as "startkde" or "gnome-session" or "icewm"), and away you go.

I believe both kdm and gdm can be configured to offer GUI login screens
for each X session, but "startx" works fine for me.

I would not mind logging in and starting the desktop GUI from Terminal, but for my wife's sake I need a KDE login GUI that does not require the root password to shutdown.

or you can just install kdm instead of gdm:
"aptitude install kdm" (or dpkg-reconfigure -plow kdm").

I did install and it said it removed a bunch of Gnome packages which were unneeded. I said OK. Then I did the reconfigure kdm which just asked me to select kdm as the default. I just hit return for ok since that was the point. Then I reboot and the same GNOME login GUI comes up so I guess that didn't do the trick :-(

So I've been digging around and found:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Adding_a_login_manager_(KDM,_GDM,_or_XDM)_to_automatically_boot_on_startup
  (watch for spaces in the url if your mail client wraps)

The first method is a no-go for me because there is no /etc/rc.conf file nor did the file find find "DAEMONS=" in any /etc or sub directory file.

So for the alternate method - I do have a /etc/inittab file with the line "id:5:initdefault:" in it, but there is no line "x:5:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/..." to change to "x:5:respawn:/opt/kde/bin/kdm -nodaemon" and I'm not sure if an where I should put the line. Maybe it no longer even belongs in this file???

As confused as ever,
thank you
Lee C