Re: emacs behave differently in xterm

On 2005-12-26 03:34:07 +0100, Juraj Fedel wrote:
> I used emacs with great satisfaction under X, now I am trying
> to use it in xterm but the keyboard behave differently in xterm.
> For example I was not able to use Meta (Alt) key (eg. M-x). This
> one I resolved by changing xterm setup
> (control - left mouse button -> select Meta Send Escape).
> But C-home and C-end do not function: they insert 5H and 5F
> respectively instead of invoking function bind to them.
> home and end (without control) do as expected.
> Emacs do not recognize C-tab (it is recognized as tab - as if I
> did not hold control key).

Text terminal emulators, such as xterm, are more limited than X.
Special key combinations must be converted into escape sequences
and not all of them are recognized (at least in a standard way).

Some terminals allow you to configure what key combination should
give; then you can configure emacs to recognize the corresponding
sequence. With xterm, this can be done with "*VT100.translations"
(man xterm).

> Neither can I type in other letter than ascii. When these letters
> are typed in bash it is OK, also joe accept them - jed does not!

Could you try "cat > /dev/null" and see what you get when you type
such letters? It may be a problem with jed. Either of the following
settings work here:

*metaSendsEscape:               true
*eightBitInput:                 true

or

*eightBitInput:                 false

But I don't use jed.

> On the other hand graphical emacs does accept them but renders them
> so small that they are almost unreadable (less than half size of
> normal fonts size). In graphical emacs and xterm I do use the same
> unicode font:
>  *VT100*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-iso10646-1

I always use the font "fixed":

Emacs*font:             fixed

It works with both ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8.

HTH,