Re: New post install tidbits?

Chinook wrote:

> Yep, I have the session KDE GUI the way I want it, but I get there
> from a Gnome login screen and I can't shutdown from such without
> entering the root password.

So you're running gdm.

> When I stepped in it before, part of the problem was probably that I
> was switching around between gdm/xdm/kdm/whatever so I'm reluctant to
> play with such.  Anyway, I just need a simple login screen that is
> either KDE or the Xwhatever behind KDE and not a separate Gnome login,
> and I want to be able to select "shutdown" from such without having to
> enter the root password.

I typically use kdm; I have a very vague memory that gdm wants a
password by default. kdm does not. Unless I'm mistaken, either can be
configured to require or not require a password for shutdown. So, you
can either munge around in the gdm config file (I'm unsure, since, as
implied, I don't run gdm), or you can just install kdm instead of gdm:
"aptitude install kdm" (or dpkg-reconfigure -plow kdm").

If you wanted to tweak kdm to require a password, search for the text
"AllowShutdown" in "/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc" and read the six or eight lines
above that option for explanation. As mentioned, gdm probably has a
similar config file with a similar option.

--
Kent