Re: New post install tidbits?

Chinook wrote:

> Kent West wrote:
>
>> or you can just install kdm instead of gdm:
>> "aptitude install kdm" (or dpkg-reconfigure -plow kdm").
>
> I did install and it said it removed a bunch of Gnome packages which
> were unneeded.  I said OK.  Then I did the reconfigure kdm which just
> asked me to select kdm as the default.  I just hit return for ok since
> that was the point.  Then I reboot and the same GNOME login GUI comes
> up so I guess that didn't do the trick :-(

That sounds like it thinks kdm is already the default. I would run the
program again, choosing gdm, then run it a final time, choosing kdm again.

> So for the alternate method - I do have a /etc/inittab file with the
> line "id:5:initdefault:" in it, but there is no line
> "x:5:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/..." to change to
> "x:5:respawn:/opt/kde/bin/kdm -nodaemon" and I'm not sure if an where
> I should put the line.  Maybe it no longer even belongs in this file???

This is for distros that have X start in runlevel 5; ignore these
instructions for use on Debian, which has the identical runlevels 2 - 5.
(Or, if you wanted, you could make these changes; that's the beauty of
Debian; you can configure it the way you, the sysadm, want it
configured. But I would recommend making these changes until you're more
familiar with runlevels and inittab, etc.)

--
Kent