Re: Xfce question

Hi Simon,
You were right, the xfwm4 wasn't running. As soon as, I started xfwm4 from the xterm the buttons reappeared on  my windows like magic.
I've learnt something again.
Thanks a lot.
Regards,
J. Mak

Simon Huggins <huggie@earth.li> wrote:
Salut j!

On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 02:02:24PM -0500, j Mak wrote:
> --- Simon Huggins wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 08:00:34PM -0500, j Mak
> > wrote:
> > > The other day, I installed enlightenment as a desktop on xfce.
> > > But I didn't like the feel of it and removed enlightenment and
> > > all the files I created during the installation. Now, xfce
> > > has no window-manager and I cannot move the windows on the
> > > screen. How can I restore the default settings? I am running
> > > Sarge.
> > Hrm. What does update-alternatives --list x-session-manager say?
> > Does it still say "/usr/bin/xfce4-session"? Do you have xfwm4
> > installed? Can you run xfwm4 once you start xfce? If so then do so
> > and save your session when you logout. If you can't, and your
> > session manager is pointing at xfce4-session then try removing
> > ~/.config/sessions/xfce4-session* and restarting X so that you get
> > the default session back.
> I've the /usr/bin/xfce4-session still; also the xfwm
> installed; I've opened it and saved the session, I've
> deleted the ~/.config/sessions/xfce4-session* as you
> said and the problem still persists.
> Here is the screen shot showing how the windows look
> like:

> http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5908/snapshot16gg.png

> Note the missing close and minimzing buttons at the
> top corner. Otherwise everything works great, except I
> cannot move the windows on the screen.

Well that looks like you're just not running xfwm4. Are you sure it is
running?

What does ps aux|grep xfwm4 say when you run it?

Does /var/log/XFree86.0.log list any errors running xfwm4? What happens
if you try to run xfwm4 manually from an xterm?

--
Simon Huggins \ c con y a pas de /unfuck
\