Re: OT: Damaged harddisk and/or disk controller - ps

On torsdag 20 oktober 2005, 00:34, Alvin Oga wrote:
> hi ya kjetil
>
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> > Hehe, no, it was the latter, a it was a well-recognized store, but
> > they were caught shipping disks that had been returned as new.
>
> sounds like dell .. they paid millions for that boo-boo

Hehe, no, it wasn't them. Dell does annoying things like turning cable
connectors around, so they don't get my money. Local store-thingie, but
the same mistake...

> other possibilities
>
> you cannot ( should not, as in expect systema and corrupt data
> problems if you do )
> 	- do not mix ata-33 ( cdrom ) with hard disks

Checked.

> 	- do not mix ata-66 with ata-100
> 	- do not mix ata-100 with ata-133

Hmmm, OK. Is it that fragile...?

The slave is a 4.5 GB Western Digital something someone threw after
me... I dump things that are semi-important onto that for redundancy.

> i'd try a different ( new ) power supply

Hmmm, ok. May I ask why?

> as henrique(?) said ... make backups ..

Sure. All my important work is checked into a remote SVN repository. I
have a few big things on the disk, but it is public domain data, using
Linus' backup strategy, and allthough it would be painful to download
all that again, it can be done. E-mail, --get-selections and a handful
of letters is all I need backup for, that goes on the slave disk
regularly, which is occasionally burnt to CD.

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer