Re: OT: Damaged harddisk and/or disk controller - ps

hi ya kjetil

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

> Hehe, no, it was the latter, a it was a well-recognized store, but they
> were caught shipping disks that had been returned as new.

sounds like dell .. they paid millions for that boo-boo

they've since changed to bringing used parts as warranty replacments
which is sorta bogus too, as one expect warranty replacements to be
new vs inheriting ( a presumably bad ) returned item from someone else

> People got
> disks with data on. Whooops... So, well, I can't be really sure, but at
> the time I bought this, 40 GB disks were the latest and greatest, so it
> isn't very likely they could have had time to ship it too many times...

other possibilities

you cannot ( should not, as in expect systema and corrupt data problems if
you do )
	- do not mix ata-33 ( cdrom ) with hard disks
	- do not mix ata-66 with ata-100
	- do not mix ata-100 with ata-133

	- and with some disks .. do not mix 2MB buffer with 8MB buffer

> Well, I have excluded cables and jumpers as the cause, so then, it is
> the controllers... But if it was the controller, why would it detect
> the slave when the master was dead...?

i'd try a different ( new ) power supply

----------

as henrique(?) said ... make backups ..

but i would counter that as, it's too late, to backup AFTER you detect
whacky disks problems ...
	the backup process will aggrevate the flaky disks that is
	misbehaving,

	the backed up data could be corrupt and/or wipe out what was
	your previously good backup data, until the oops i've got a
	problem emergency backup

	- have more than 1 backup ... do it automatically and daily
	on a rotating schedule and different media and never
	backup on the same disk and never backup on the same PC
	(or at least physically pull the backup disk out after the backup)

c ya
alvin