Re: adventures with window managers

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:17:42 +0100
Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:

> When I use ALT-Tab to cycle thro all open apps, I would like to see
> all apps in a list or a row with the current selected app highlighted.
> I saw one window manager doing it just how I like it but don't
> remember which one now.

IceWM

> I would like to have focus when I click on any part of a window, not
> just the title bar. It's taking a while to get used to enlightenment,
> since I can use the mouse to select text in a window without actually
> selecting the window, and then when I press delete, it deletes
> something in the other window, not the text. Sounds weird, and it is!

IceWM

> I'd also like to have a key combination that will call up the gnome
> log-out dialog. Used to be ALT+F1 in metacity in my original
> installation but I've lost it since.

Maybe I misunderstand.  Log off the 'net?
Pon/poff work very well.  So does the "net" button on
GKrellM.  Otherwise there is gRun:
"gRun is especially useful if you do not use the
GNOME desktop which has a built-in run command, and
if you use a window-manager (e.g. IceWM) where you can
define a  keyboard shortcut (e.g. Alt-F2) for starting
gRun."
Otherwise, if you mean to log off of the computer, click, click in the

> I also want to restrict the desktop to just one instance, I don't use
> this feature. I keep finding mis-clicks with the mouse or a fumble on
> the keyboard (does happen!) throws me into another desktop.]

IceWM can do that.  (but multiple desktops are /so/ cool!)

> The list would go on but I don't want to bore you,
>
> Adam

I think you'd be happy with IceWM as it is configurable to do most of
what you want so far.  In addition you'll need Iceconf or Icepref for
configuration.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Q: What's the difference between MicroSoft Windows and a virus?
A: Apart from the fact that viruses are supported by their authors,