Re: adventures with window managers

Adam Hardy on 12/09/05 09:59, wrote:
Almut Behrens on 12/09/05 01:15, wrote:

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 11:47:04PM +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:

Adam Hardy on 11/09/05 23:00, wrote:

UWM: Your X-Server doesn't support the SHAPES extension ..... terminating

I can't find any reference to SHAPES extension in synaptic. Where does it reside?

[snip]  Just make sure you have this in your XF86Config:

Section "Module"
        Load    "extmod"
EndSection

I am actually using xorg.conf, but that was exactly the same. Thanks alot.

Now that I've got rid of the errors, I realise I don't know what window manager is what.

I'm running selectwm which launches a little dialog box showing a list of window managers: Gnome, KDE, Enlightenment, Sawfish, Blackbox etc

I'm probably going to go with Enlightenment, but I'm still checking them all out.

I didn't realise Gnome was a window manager. Yet it runs with sawfish. Makes me think I should be able to choose Gnome and Enlightenment, but how?

When I choose enlightenment, or blackbox for instance, I don't get any panels with applets as in Gnome. Is there a way to set them up in Enlightenment? Or doesn't it do them?

I'm launching x-server from the cmd line with startx and an .xinitrc containing the selectwm command.