Re: adventures with window managers

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 01:37:52PM +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:
> Kai Grossjohann on 14/09/05 13:01, wrote:
> >Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> writes:
> >

> >>When I use ALT-Tab to cycle thro all open apps, I would like to see all
> >>apps in a list or a row with the current selected app highlighted. I saw
> >>one window manager doing it just how I like it but don't remember which
> >>one now.
> >

> >WindowMaker does this, I think.  Then, sawfish can do it with an extra
> >module.  Lessee...  Perhaps merlin-ugliness is the package in question.
>
> Thanks Simo, Kai.
>
> Just made my desktop environment 100 times better.
>
> That last problem above is the sticking point - I'll check out the docs
> and the mailing list for enlightenment to see if I can find a way of
> changing it. If not, I'll defect over to sawfish or wmaker.
>
> There's another niggle I've got but it's trivial - underneath my top
> panel from gnome, is the panel from enlightenment and the only advantage
> I can see for it is that as Simo said you can middle click it and get
> the list of open apps. Is there anything else you can do with it? I
> can't stick applets on it so it looks pretty vestigial.
>
> Adam

The only thing (that I know) the enlightenment panel is meant for, is
dragging the desktop to show a desktop below the active one. So that's
useful when using multiple desktops. Other than that it has that
application list, but you get the apps list also by Alt-Middle-Clicking
the desktop, so you can safely remove the panel from Special FX
Settings... 'Display desktop dragbar'.

Simo
--
:r ~/.signature