Re: Ubunto vs. Debian

Hal Vaughan wrote:

On Monday 18 July 2005 10:27 pm, Steve Lamb wrote:
Hal Vaughan wrote:
People do things like that because they have the illusion they can
control others.  It's a nasty habit, and it says more negative about the
person doing it than the person they are jumping on.
   No.  It's called letting people know they're being rude.  Don't like
the list guidelines, don't post.  That simple.

It's called letting them know they're being rude by being rude in return. There are polite ways to tell people things and curt and rude ways to say the same thing. Out of the "you're being rude", or RTFM messages, I've seen maybe 1 in 20 showing any degree of courtesy.

It's that simple.

By any chance are you saying that my post in reply to "Benjamin Sher"'s email was rude? or are you in general talking about posts on this mailing list? please clarify. The email requests him not to open up new threads at random and also gives him the title thread where it belongs to.

I personally try not to be rude on the mailing lists (and everywhere else). I want others to use Debian not make them go away from it. But I also want them to know, right at the beginning, what is right or wrong.

Talking about debian-user in general, I find that this list is very newbie friendly. You do not see many RTFM messages as other mailing lists/news groups. If you feel that any message on this list is rude to fellow users, you should point it then and there itself. That way the sender would at least know that he is being rude. It also gives the OP assurance that there are other sane people who would like to help him and not bash him away.

raju