Re: Ubunto vs. Debian

On Tuesday 19 July 2005 12:30 am, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
> Hal Vaughan wrote:
> >>
> >>    No.  It's called letting people know they're being rude.  Don't like
> >>the list guidelines, don't post.  That simple.
> >
> >It's called letting them know they're being rude by being rude in return.
> >
> >There are polite ways to tell people things and curt and rude ways to say
> > the same thing.  Out of the "you're being rude", or RTFM messages, I've
> > seen maybe 1 in 20 showing any degree of courtesy.
> >
> >It's that simple.
>
> By any chance are you saying that my post in reply to "Benjamin Sher"'s
> email was rude? or are you in general talking about posts on this
> mailing list? please clarify. The email requests him not to open up new
> threads at random and also gives him the title thread where it belongs to.

I'm talking in general.  Your post was one of the few that said RTFM, or
something to that effect, politely. I noticed the new thread for the same
topic and found it irritating, but I don't bother with things like that --
since quite often there is a reason (as in this case) for what the poster
did.  I do have to say that imho, while you were polite about what you said,
it wasn't really a necessary comment and, as we found out later, there was a
good reason for the post starting a new thread.  I've found that quite often
there are reasons people break the rules, so I've given up insisting they
follow them.  (Maybe it's also because, after years as a teacher, I relish
NOT having to monitor people and tell them to follow the rules.)

(While close to it, I'll say that the one thing that I get fragged about is
when someone replies to a post in a thread to ask an entirely new and
unrelated question.  The thread may be about an error message for MySQL, and
I'm really trying to follow it for an answer, and someone responds to a post
in that thread to ask a question about their sound card.  Even if they change
the topic, it makes it confusing to follow.)

> I personally try not to be rude on the mailing lists (and everywhere
> else). I want others to use Debian not make them go away from it. But I
> also want them to know, right at the beginning, what is right or wrong.
>
> Talking about debian-user in general, I find that this list is very
> newbie friendly.

I have to say it is much more newbie friendly than it was a few years ago,
when I first tried Debian.

> You do not see many RTFM messages as other mailing
> lists/news groups.

I don't know what groups you're on, but my experience is I see more here, and
I see a lot of people here that are too busy being right to listen or ever
consider that *they* are the ones being rude.

> If you feel that any message on this list is rude to
> fellow users, you should point it then and there itself.

It wasn't that your message was rude, but I felt some of the comments in the
response were correct -- if not about your comment, about many of the
comments that were similar.

> That way the
> sender would at least know that he is being rude. It also gives the OP
> assurance that there are other sane people who would like to help him
> and not bash him away.

That's a good point.

Hal