Re: Ubunto vs. Debian

On Monday 18 July 2005 07:55 pm, Lorenzo Taylor wrote:

> Benjamin Sher's comments on Re: Ubunto vs. Debian were as follows:
> # > Please use the same thread. Please do not open different threads for
> the # > same topic that is still active. Your reply could as well go into
> the # > thread titled "Debian or Ubuntu Dilemma".
> #
> # Dear raju:
> #
> # My apologies. I didn't have a copy of the letter so I tried to recreate
> the # heading.
> <RANT>
> It's nig-picking like this that makes some people not want to use mailing
> lists. I should have treated such portions of this thread as spam and just
> deleted them, but I had to say something.  Not a day goes by that I don't
> see some loud-mouth criticizing someone for top-posting, starting a thread
> on a previous topic (when a previous post is required to continue the same
> thread and they don't have one) and other very trivial matters that have no
> place adding to my piling up inbox.

People do things like that because they have the illusion they can control
others.  It's a nasty habit, and it says more negative about the person doing
it than the person they are jumping on.

I agree with you -- there are times when people ask for help and really aren't
sure what is going on, and others take the chance to be downright nasty to
them.  It's as if there are those who aren't comfortable unless they're
forcing their own high opinion of their own self down the throat of someone
who doesn't know as much.  It's a damn shame.  While it allows some people to
get an ego-boost, it is at the cost of Linux and open source overall.

> I know some of you who are
> contributing to the nit-pickiness of this list feel you are helping
> someone, but it only gets flamewars started about top/bottom/inline
> posting, starting new threads and other craziness that we don't need on
> this list.  Things like this only serve to intimidate people who have valid
> questions or valid answers to questions but are afraid to ask or contribute
> because they feel they will be criticized for a little something they did

Exactly.  And while they may be a newbie today who has just come over from
Win32 and is still trying to get the hang of even the basics, this
nit-picking (and showing off and hazing -- "Hey, don't do that.  It's not
right, and any geek on this list would know that") only serves to prove the
nit-pickers would rather attack others than help them.

Such behavior does not reflect well on Debian, does not reflect well on Linux,
nor on FOSS, and it especially does not reflect well on the nit-picker
him/herself, since it shows that they are more concerned with political
correctness then in providing help.

Hal