Re: Ubunto vs. Debian

Hal Vaughan wrote:
> People do things like that because they have the illusion they can control
> others.  It's a nasty habit, and it says more negative about the person doing
> it than the person they are jumping on.

    No.  It's called letting people know they're being rude.  Don't like the
list guidelines, don't post.  That simple.

> While it allows some people to
> get an ego-boost, it is at the cost of Linux and open source overall.

    Doubt it.  When people are able to converse intelligently with the locals
they get more benefit.  Or, to put it another way, want answers, ask properly
formatted questions.  Want to be ignored, be a prick.

> Such behavior does not reflect well on Debian, does not reflect well on Linux,
> nor on FOSS, and it especially does not reflect well on the nit-picker
> him/herself, since it shows that they are more concerned with political
> correctness then in providing help.

    It also reflects poorly on the person who couldn't be bothered to take the
time to see how the locals do things.  Isn't that something that Americans are
always blasted about in good ol' Europe?  Going over expecting everyone to
speak English and when people don't... speaking slower and louder as if
somehow volume is going to impart the capability to understand a foriegn language?