Ubunto vs. Debian

Dear friends:

To the person who asked about Ubunto vs. Debian:

My answer, as a former user of Xandros, a derivative of Debian, is simple:
it's always best to get the original, if the original is as good or better
than the copy. In this case, I bought Xandros 2.0 about two years ago and
used it for one year. Why? Mainly because I wanted Debian with its apt-get
but was afraid of the "hard install". Secondly, Xandros promised its users
(and still promises) access to the "vast library of Debian applications".
Well, no sooner did I start using Xandros than I realized this was nothing
but a mirage. The only Debian packages that worked with Xandros, that you
could trust were those that were marked "Xandros". All the other thousands of
packages would jeopardize and eventually destroy your installation, forcing a
complete reinstall. I finally gave up.

There are two main Linux distros: Red Hat and Debian. Each have many
derivates. Xandros is one of at least 25 distros based on Debian.

Originally, Red Hat based distros were a nightmare because of package
dependency issues. RPM's didn't help. It used to be called RPM hell. But now
Red Hat uses yum, which is just as good as apt-get, so that is not an issue.
But I understand that Red Hat's version of KDE is a stripped down one. So you
may wish to consider that.

All in all, either get Red Hat (or its free version Fedora Core) or get
Debian. Stick with the original.That's best for peace of mind.

Benjamin