Re: dmesg query

Hi Nathanael,
Many thanks for the email. Hope you don't mind my cc'ing the
debian-user list, it was suggested to me to always ensure all replies
go to the list .....

> > But ... my question remains ..... does the fact that lsmod _does_ list
> > support for Promise drivers (whereas dmesg does not) mean that if I
> > buy a Promise IDE card with the correct chip - SARGE will provide
> > support for that IDE card?
>
> Yes.  lsmod will tell you what modules you have loaded right now, which
> naturally means that it's supported.  What it won't tell you about is
> things that are supported, but just don't have the module loaded ATM.

Understand. Thanks for that.

> This means you have the driver(s) for the Promise TX2 cards, at least.  (I
> have a Promise TX2 ATA100 card running my server right now...)  I don't
> know what other model designations Promise may have used the 202xx chip
> in.  As a side note, you probably don't want both the '_old' and '_new'
> drivers loaded at the same time.  IIRC, they do the same thing, and I
> haven't had any problems with the '_new' driver.

OK. Thanks for this: so it looks like those drivers are loaded, not
compiled into the kernel - would I be correct in thinking that to stop
'_old' being loaded into the kernel I'd use modconf?

Thanks, Jim.