Re: Openoffice & external links to graphics.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:05:51 +0000, Chris Halls <halls@debian.org> wrote:
> On Monday 21 Feb 2005 14:45, Clive Menzies wrote:
> > On (21/02/05 14:19), James Cummings wrote:
> > > Openoffice saves it as Foo.rtf and Foo.png with a file:// link in it
> > > that specifies my home directory, etc.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to make Openoffice embed the graphics in the file (i.e.
> > > keep it as it *was*) rather than split them up into multiple files.
> > >
> > > This is *extremely* inconvenient since colleagues are all using Word
> > > and whatnot.
> >
> > I share word docs with MS users without a problem but have set
> > MSWord 97/2000/XP as default in Options> Load/Save/General.  I suspect
> > it is the use of rtf which is causing the problem (Rich Text Format -
> > not graphics, /<he said in ignorance>).
>
> Yup, agreed.  The OOo developers would tell you to use .doc format instead
> of .rtf as you will get much better compatibility between OOo and Word for
> two reasons.  First,  the .rtf spec isn't as open or well defined as rumour
> has it, and second, because OOo has had much more development effort put
> into .doc compatibility than the .rtf support.

My problem was that the files were already in RTF format.  So even
when I loaded them up, then saved them as DOC, it would save the
graphic externally.

My lamentable solution was to run MSWord in winxp inside VMWare
temporarily, but that is something I'd prefer to avoid doing.

You are right that it isn't something I've experienced with DOC files.

It is also something I didn't experience with RTF files in 1.1.2, but
now do in 1.1.3.
The *worst* bit about it is the link to the file was saved as:
file:///home/jamesc/mnt/remotemachine/sharedfilespace/blah/blort/foo.png
So would work fine on my machine, but of course not for everyone else.
 The affect was that if I loaded an RTF file, the graphics disappeared
for anyone else who loaded it after me.
Ok, RTF might not be the best supported format, but that strikes me as
a real problem.

In any case, my problem is (for now) solved,  ;-)
-James

--
James Cummings, Cummings dot James at GMail dot com