Re: dmesg query

jim biri wrote:
OK - thanks.

But ... my question remains ..... does the fact that lsmod _does_ list
support for Promise drivers (whereas dmesg does not) mean that if I
buy a Promise IDE card with the correct chip - SARGE will provide
support for that IDE card?

In short - I want - a definitive method of finding out whether a
Promise IDE card would have support before I bought it. Previously I'd
been told to use dmesg, but it looks like lsmod is the way to go.

Two different things.

lsmod will list the module that have been loaded to configure hardware that was found in your machine.

dmesg will show you messages from the kernel which pertain to the boot process and amongst other things is the place in which the kernel will tell you it has found, recognized and configured devices that where COMPILED in the kernel (as opposed to loaded as modules).

But please note that your question is loosely related to SARGE or Debian and is more regarding the device support of the kernel.

In general questions related to the kernel are better asked in some kernel related list.

You could also want to look at http://www.linux-ide.org/chipsets.html

Another resource is Googling for "linux 2.6 promise hpt support" or something similar.

HTH,
Bob