dmesg query

Hi,
Wonder if anyone can help. A query re: dmesg:

I had a WOODY 2.4 installation. I ran dmesg on it, and dmesg contains
listings of info for Promise and HPT drivers - although no such card
is installed.

I've now installed a SARGE/2.6 installation on the same machine,
completely wiping the previous WOODY installation. Running dmesg no
longer shows any such info for any such Promise or HPT drivers.
modconf says that there are some included in the kernel. Again, no
such card is installed.

Why would dmesg on WOODY show up some info although no card is
installed, and dmesg in SARGE doesn't?
Thanks, Jim.