Re: dmesg query

On Tuesday 22 February 2005 0546, somebody named jim biri inscribed this
message:
> Hi Nathanael,
> Many thanks for the email. Hope you don't mind my cc'ing the
> debian-user list, it was suggested to me to always ensure all replies
> go to the list .....

I don't mind at all.  The whole point of a mailing list is to get help (and
if you know things, to help) and it's usually considered best courtesy to
keep discussions on-list in order to facilitate that.  For one thing, all
the list messages get archived and can then be searched at any time by
anyone.  For another, anyone is free to chime into any discussion at any
time, which generally is more help than hindrance.  We can all pipe up
with the bits that we each know and supplement the bits that someone else
may not know, or just provide different ways of doing things.

> > > But ... my question remains ..... does the fact that lsmod _does_
> > > list support for Promise drivers (whereas dmesg does not) mean that
> > > if I buy a Promise IDE card with the correct chip - SARGE will
> > > provide support for that IDE card?
> >
> > Yes.  lsmod will tell you what modules you have loaded right now,
> > which naturally means that it's supported.  What it won't tell you
> > about is things that are supported, but just don't have the module
> > loaded ATM.
>
> Understand. Thanks for that.
>
> > This means you have the driver(s) for the Promise TX2 cards, at least.
> >  (I have a Promise TX2 ATA100 card running my server right now...)  I
> > don't know what other model designations Promise may have used the
> > 202xx chip in.  As a side note, you probably don't want both the
> > '_old' and '_new' drivers loaded at the same time.  IIRC, they do the
> > same thing, and I haven't had any problems with the '_new' driver.
>
> OK. Thanks for this: so it looks like those drivers are loaded, not
> compiled into the kernel -

Right.

> would I be correct in thinking that to stop
> '_old' being loaded into the kernel I'd use modconf?

Probably.  I have to say that I'm not very familiar with modconf, having
never used it for anything....But I just fired it up and I think I may
have been missing out. :^)

NRH
--
mathematician, n.: Some one who believes imaginary things appear right
before your _ i's.