Re: switch from 2.4.24 lvm1 to 2.6.10 lvm 2 problems

Benedict Verheyen wrote:
Oh, i misunderstood. I tried the shell and entering some commands but i didn't try to issue all the commands by hand from your script.
I'll try that tonight.

I tried the 2.6.10 kernel that i compiled with the 2.6.10 initrd script that i made via mkinitrd (by making dm-mod that it was searching as link to another dm module) here on my 2.6.10 server at work. It boots and detects the lvm2 devices without problems so it should boot the system at home too.

What i think still could be a problem is devfs and the /dev/mapper entries. I don't have any /dev/mapper entries at home and i'm not sure if they need to be made beforehand or if devfs is going to construct them in the script. I think this might be an additional problem.

Regards,
Benedict

Well, i tried as you said to run the commands in the script by hand and this what happened:

* hit enter to enter a shell
* mount -nt proc proc proc failed because it was alread mountend, no biggie
* then the test [-e /proc/lvm] || exit 1 produces a kernel panic so the /proc/lvm isn't there (because of lvm2 probably) * anyway, i reboot and do not type that line again, so the next command is this: mkdir tmp/tmpetc

and this fails because "it's a readonly file system"

I then tried to even remake the initrd with a script that makes a ext2 image instead of a cramfs but that fails too.

Regards,
Benedict