Re: switch from 2.4.24 lvm1 to 2.6.10 lvm 2 problems

Pigeon wrote:

<snip>

Have the LVM modules been loaded properly? Are they listed in
/etc/mkinitrd/modules? What are the scripts on your initrd doing to
activate the volume group? Do they try modprobing the modules just in
case? Are all the relevant libraries and executables for the LVM tools
being included on the initrd?
I've listed a lot of modules in /etc/modules but i haven't checked /etc/mkinitrd/modules so far.
Good tip, i'll check that !
I'm not sure what the scripts are doing ATM.

I've just set up a root on LVM - under 2.4.24 - and had a lot of
problems similar to this most of which turned out to be due to the LVM
shared libraries and the executables in /lib/lvm-10 not being included
on the initrd. I too was finding mkinitrd wasn't behaving quite as I
expected in certain places. I ended up listing the contents of
/lib/lvm-10 and /lib/modules/2.4.24 explicitly in /etc/mkinitrd/files.
Hhhm. Haven't done that either. It will be /lib/lvm-200 in my case and /lib/modules/2.6.9 Is it ok to set the dirs or do you have to put all the files in there? If so, is there a handy script
to run through the dirs and include them?

I also had an mkinitrd script to copy the shared libraries into the
initrd and run ldconfig on them, and make the LVM nodes in $INITRDDIR/dev.
You can read more at http://pigeon.dyndns.org/stuff/lvm-root/lvm-root.html

Thanks, i will check that page.

- I know your 2.4.24 worked, but it looks to me as if your 2.6.x isn't
working for similar reasons to those that gave me trouble on 2.4.24.

If you set DELAY=n in /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf there will be a
pause of n seconds immediately after the initrd has been loaded during
which you can press return to get a shell. You can then execute the
scripts by hand, a line at a time, and see what's happening and where
it goes wrong. You'll probably want to include some useful executables
in /etc/mkinitrd/exe to assist your debugging and avoid those "oh
bollocks, I can't run ls" moments. I've got these, in addition to the
LVM ones:

/bin/cp
/bin/mv
/bin/ln