Re: switch from 2.4.24 lvm1 to 2.6.10 lvm 2 problems

Benedict Verheyen wrote:

<snip>

I recompiled a kernel with lvm 2 support as module instead of built in to see if mkinitrd would choke on it this time and now it indeed continues to build an initrd so IMHO it is a bug.
Thanks for checking that !

I'll try that new kernel tonight and see what happens.

Regards,
Benedict

Went home with a compiled 2.6.10 kernel and an initrd.
Installed and booting: black screen
I forgot frame buffer support and on my grub line there's a vga=791 so
removed that and it boots ok.
Before it fails, i get this:

set umask to 0077
 Creating directory "/etc/lvm/archive"
 Creating directory "/etc/lvm/backup"
 Creating directory "/var/lock/lvm"
 Using volume group "main"
1 PV(s) found for VG main: expected 0
Unable to find volume group main
pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 431: Cannot open /dev/console: No such file

Same error. It seems as if the mkinitrd scripts is not really meant to
handle lvm :(

I noticed in the bootsequence when it detected hda
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/: p1 [EZD]

Also, when booting i went to a shell (thanks to delay=5)
Got an error: sh: can't access tty; job control turned off but
i got a shell anyway?
Did an lsmod and the dm_mod was loaded.

#vgscan
 Logging ...
 set umask to 0077
 Creating directory "/etc/lvm/archive"
 /etc/lvm/archive: mkdir faild: Read-only filesystem

I then checked /dev/ and find "main" to be linking to ../devfs/main
and mapper to ../devfs/mapper.

I'm totally clueless now. I think the kernel is ok, lvm part and tools
are ok, just something in the initrd is wrong.
If people on Woody are going to have the same problems when they do
a dist-upgrade, this is going to be a lot of fun :(

Any ideas?

Regards,
Benedict