Re: [Way off topic] the Quran

Sam Watkins wrote:

 On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 09:22:30AM -0500, Roberto Sanchez wrote:

> The difference is this:
>
> 1. Muslims who commit terrorist acts do so in *compliance* with
> the teachings of Mohammed and Islam. 2. Christians who commit
> terrorist acts are in direct opposition to the Bible and the Word
> of God.
>
> -Roberto Sanchez

 This is complete ignorance and falsehood. I have been reading the
 Quran extensively of late, it is a beautiful and peaceful book. The
 morality of the Quran is far beyond what is practised by leaders of
 any country today. Obviously you speak without having read the
 Quran. The Quran does not promote terrorism or senseless violence,
 the Quran and true Islam is extremely tolerant of other religions.
 The passages in the Quran concerning war are all based on the premise
 that the Islamic nation is under attack. The Quran repeatedly says
 that if the enemy wants to make peace, then the Muslim must make
 peace.

 See http://submission.org/, for example, for a readable translation
 of the Quran.

 The Quran is in fact far more consistent than the bible; I am able to
 believe that the Quran is the uncorrupted word of God,

<snip>

I'm afraid I can't.
I've read the Koran, the Torah and the Bible, including translations of the Greek Nestles and the Latin Vulgate, and although there are many beautiful passages in each of them, they create divisions between peoples every bit as effective in promoting aggression as the concept of nationalistic borders.

Man has a great capacity to corrupt.
He can take something extremely simple, and complicate it to the point where it requires entire sects of mental gymnasts to hand down a preferred version. There's a passage in the Bible that puts it quite well, "And I shall speak to you in such a way, that even the simplest child shall understand".

Take the time to sit down and watch a sunset sometime, then chuck the book away.
Regards,

David.