Re: [Way off topic] the Quran

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 09:22:30AM -0500, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> The difference is this:
>
> 1.  Muslims who commit terrorist acts do so in *compliance* with the
> teachings of Mohammed and Islam.
> 2.  Christians who commit terrorist acts are in direct opposition to
> the Bible and the Word of God.
>
> -Roberto Sanchez

This is complete ignorance and falsehood.  I have been reading the Quran
extensively of late, it is a beautiful and peaceful book.  The morality
of the Quran is far beyond what is practised by leaders of any country
today.  Obviously you speak without having read the Quran.  The Quran
does not promote terrorism or senseless violence, the Quran and true
Islam is extremely tolerant of other religions.  The passages in the
Quran concerning war are all based on the premise that the Islamic
nation is under attack.  The Quran repeatedly says that if the enemy
wants to make peace, then the Muslim must make peace.

See http://submission.org/, for example, for a readable translation of
the Quran.

The Quran is in fact far more consistent than the bible; I am able to
believe that the Quran is the uncorrupted word of God, whereas the bible
itself testifies that the scribes have corrupted it:

  "How can you say, 'We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us'?
  But, behold, the false pen of the scribes has made it into a lie.
  (From the RSV Bible, Jeremiah 8:8)"