Re: Newbie first-time install advice: Highpoint Rocket 133SB

Stefan O'Rear wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 10:57:23PM -0400, David Witbrodt wrote:
> >   I would still like to know how you looked up the info on which drivers
> > were supported.  Is that info from the net, or from your system?  Which
> > kernel does it refer to?
>
> It refers to kernel 2.6.0 beta 5.
>
> I downloaded it, extracted it in ~/linux-2.6.0, and:
>
> ~ %% cd linux-2.6.0/
> ~/linux-2.6.0 %% grep -lri Highpoint .
> } one minute and 41 seconds later (my system is slow)...
> ./drivers/ide/pci/hpt34x.c
> ./drivers/ide/pci/hpt366.c
> ./drivers/ide/pci/hpt366.h
> ~/linux-2.6.0 %%
>
> Looking in drivers/ide/pci/hpt34x.c, I find this:
>         static char *chipset_names[] = {"HPT343", "HPT345"};
> and:
> MODULE_DESCRIPTION("PCI driver module for Highpoint 34x IDE");
>
> In drivers/ide/pci/hpt366.c:
>         char *chipset_nums[] = {"366", "366",  "368",
>                                 "370", "370A", "372",
>                                 "302", "371",  "374" };
>                                 ^^^^^
>                                 Looks like HPT302 support.

  Beautiful!!
  It looks same way to me, even though I am a newbie! ;-)
  I sent a message to Highpoint asking about it.  This info is quite
specific, and I can ask them directly whether the HPT366 driver is
backward compatible with HPT302 and will run the controller.  If so,
that is going to save me a bunch of trouble.  (Someday I'll be able to
actually DO the things I was worried I would have to do!)
  If it is the kernels in the 3.6.x series that I need, then I may have
to use the Sarge netinst CD.  The HILUX CD seems to have only 2.4.24,
and the Woody CDs are farther behind than that.  I wonder if it is
possible, if the Sarge netinst CD gives me problems, to get an updated
kernel from backports.org and use it with one of these CD sets?  I see
that kernels 2.6.6 and 2.6.7 are available there, but at this point
doing anything like that is probably way over my head....

Thanks for everything,
Dave Witbrodt