Re: Newbie first-time install advice: Highpoint Rocket 133SB

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 07:03:26PM -0400, David Witbrodt wrote:
>   I am glad to hear about the autodetect, but I am a bit worried about
> autodetection of my NIC (HP EN1207D-TX) and my video (NVidia Vanta on
> motherboard).
>   I have a SpeedStream 5100b, which has a built-in router, for DSL.
> That is supposed to make things easier, since it handles PPPoE itself.
> On the other hand, if I have the slightest problem I will be
> stonewalled, since I'm a total newbie.  That's my main reason for
> preferring CDs over netinst.  I kept a forum article where someone
> explained that I only need something called DHCP to be able to use
> Linux; unfortunately, I don't even know what that is (yet).
If you have a local network (if you have a router you have a local
network) than you don't need to worry about DSL.  If you have a working
router and a working NIC you have working internet.

DHCP means that you don't need to enter your IP address. Dynamic Host
Configuration Protocol makes things MUCH easier.  Even a total newbie
should know how to turn the computer off when the install doesn't work :)

> > Don't usually bother with the manufacturor's website.  Almost everyone
> > seems to have been brainwashed into thinking "Red Hat is Linux; Debian
> > doesn't exist".
> >
> > Almost all DSFG-free GPL-compatible drivers come with the kernel;
> > non-kernel drivers are contraversial, obscure, proprietary, non (beer)
> > free, very new, or some combination of the above.
>
>   I will be able to ignore the Highpoint website only if I can find a
> kernel with built-in support for the Rocket 133SB controller.
> Otherwise, I will have to use their open source driver code, and then
> learn how to compile my own kernel, or use the driver as a kernel
> module, from what I've read.  The website has binary packages for 3
> other distros, but at least provides source code for the drivers you can
> compile yourself.  I was hoping to hear from someone already using a
> Rocket 133SB, so that I would know which kernels already support it, or
> whether I will be forced to compile the drivers myself... which will be
> a bit over my head for a while!
>   Not having a kernel with Rocket 133SB support would mean installing
> Debian to the old hard drive until I can get a kernel working which can
> handle the controller and hard drive.  It's THOSE things that I wish
> would autodetect!  And maybe they will, but I won't be able to try for
> several more days.

Linux doesn't usually support devices.  It supports chipsets.  Often,
multiple device brands use the same chipset type.  For instance, I have
Creative Labs integrated sound, but I use the Ensoniq ES1371 driver.

I opened up the case and looked at the sound ports with a flashlight,
but hotplug and discover (two programs used by debian-installer to
detect hardware) are supposed to make that unnecessary.

Chances are VERY good the Rocket 133SB uses a standard controller. There
is one driver that supports all standard IDE/ATA/SATA controllers.

Don't worry about it unless the install doesn't work.

> > Sarge will be stable Real Soon Now.
>
>   I did download a Sarge netinst CD, as I mentioned before.  I saw the
> announcement in August that it would become the new "stable" by 9/15,
> but that appears to have been wishful thinking.  If netinst can't figure
> out how to use my DSL connection, that CD is useless anyway -- unless
> someone can tell me how to finesse it to work with my DSL modem.
1. That is what debian-user is here for.

2. Try it and see - it could work, and since you backed up your data it
   can't mess things up.

> > Woody was frozen in 2001/2. Still gets security updates, but no new
> > programs.
>
>   Yes, and when I noticed it couldn't handle the big HD, that's when I
> searched and found HILUX.  The only problem is that I don't know if it
> supports the Rocket.  I will give it a try, since I don't know how else
> to find out whether it will work.

> > Do use sarge though. The Woody installer ('boot-floppies') is nearly
> > impossible to use.
>
>   I was under the impression that boot floppies are no longer necessary
> with boot CDs.  Isn't that so?

You are correct.  boot-floppies is only a name.

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER