Re: Newbie first-time install advice: Highpoint Rocket 133SB

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 09:46:15PM -0400, David Witbrodt wrote:
> > Looking in the 2.6 tree, there are drivers supporting the Highpoint 343,
> > 345, 366, 370, 370A, and 372.
>
>   Now that is helpful information!  (May I ask how and where you found
> this, so I will bother other folks less in the future?  The sooner I can
> become self-sufficient, the sooner I can start helping other newbies on
> this list! ;)
>   According to the manual for the Rocket 133SB in the retail box, the
> Windows drivers are called HPT302.  The source code tarball provided by
> Highpoint is called
>
> 	hpt302-opensource-v1.2.tgz

I suspect the (34x,3[67]x) drivers will work backwards-compatibly.

> Looks bad for me, at first.  Maybe I should start another thread asking
> for advice (i.e., "What would you do?") about how to proceed.  I have an
> older 37 GB drive that works as is, and a new 160 GB drive that will
> only work at maximum capacity if I use it with this Rocket133SB
> controller that I bought (like a big dummy, without checking into it
> first to see if Linux kernels already know about it).
>   I had hoped to install all of the new hardware with my old OS first,
> just to make sure it works.  Then I wanted to install Linux and XP
> directly to the new big drive (through the Rocket).  Now the picture
> looks more complex.  Maybe I should temporarily put my old WinME on half
> of the old drive (so I can use the net to get help if I have install
> problems with Debian), and install Debian on the other half.  Then I
> need to compile the tarball above as a module (or should I compile a new
> kernel?) so that I can create a new setup that can use the Rocket.  Then
> I can partition the big drive through the Rocket for Debian and XP, and
> install them over there.
>   Or is/are there easier ways?

> > Not impossible, just rather difficult.  No useful documentation, you
> > need to know the chipset used by most of your hardware, slow, encourages
> > you too partition your disk but doesn't tell you how to do it right,
> > chokes on ISA PNP, etc. YMMV, and probably won't be worse than mine.
>
>   You make this sound pretty bad.  I wonder if the HILUX CD is as bad as
> this.  It's a lot smaller, and has a lot of updated (backported)
> packages for a minimal installation, which can then be finished by
> downloading anything else desired.
Probably not.

The debian woody packages are dated, but still quite good.  The HILUX
people have probably substituted something else (like Red Hat's anaconda
or the Sarge installer, both of which can be made to work with woody)
for boot-floppies.

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER