Re: Newbie first-time install advice: Highpoint Rocket 133SB

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 10:57:23PM -0400, David Witbrodt wrote:
> > >   You make this sound pretty bad.  I wonder if the HILUX CD is as bad as
> > > this.  It's a lot smaller, and has a lot of updated (backported)
> > > packages for a minimal installation, which can then be finished by
> > > downloading anything else desired.
> > Probably not.
> >
> > The debian woody packages are dated, but still quite good.  The HILUX
> > people have probably substituted something else (like Red Hat's anaconda
> > or the Sarge installer, both of which can be made to work with woody)
> > for boot-floppies.
>
>   We'll see how it goes, then.  I'm scrambling as fast as I can to
> finish the backup so that I can get to work on it.
>   I would still like to know how you looked up the info on which drivers
> were supported.  Is that info from the net, or from your system?  Which
> kernel does it refer to?

It refers to kernel 2.6.0 beta 5.

I downloaded it, extracted it in ~/linux-2.6.0, and:

~ %% cd linux-2.6.0/
~/linux-2.6.0 %% grep -lri Highpoint .
} one minute and 41 seconds later (my system is slow)...
./drivers/ide/pci/hpt34x.c
./drivers/ide/pci/hpt366.c
./drivers/ide/pci/hpt366.h
~/linux-2.6.0 %%

Looking in drivers/ide/pci/hpt34x.c, I find this:
	static char *chipset_names[] = {"HPT343", "HPT345"};
and:
MODULE_DESCRIPTION("PCI driver module for Highpoint 34x IDE");

In drivers/ide/pci/hpt366.c:
	char *chipset_nums[] = {"366", "366",  "368",
				"370", "370A", "372",
				"302", "371",  "374" };
				^^^^^
				Looks like HPT302 support.