Re: Newbie first-time install advice: Highpoint Rocket 133SB

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 08:32:38PM -0400, David Witbrodt wrote:

> Stefan O'Rear wrote:
> >
> > If you have a local network (if you have a router you have a local
> > network) than you don't need to worry about DSL.  If you have a working
> > router and a working NIC you have working internet.
>
>   It's not a real router, and I do not have a LAN.  It's a "router"
> built-in to the 5100b modem.  A real router allows attachment of

I just Googled '5100b modem' and found:
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101306.asp

Reading these instructions, it seems to me that 5100b is a wanabe router,
and that it seems to have all the functionality that you actually need.
You can configure it by accessing it from your computer as if it were a
web page at IP address 192.168.0.1 This is very standard behavior for a
consumer oriented router box. I can't guarentee that it will work, but I
would be very surprised if it didn't.

The instructions that I'm reading concern turning off PPPoE, and really
concern how to live with two 'routers' that both want to be addressed
as 192.168.0.1

Your bigger issue is getting your ISP to actually turn on service. Don't
get too tangled up in config issues until you have determined that they
have started service. To do that, borrow a Windoze laptop and try to
connect to internet. If they don't get you connected that way, they
surely won't get you connected with Linux.

> external devices, but this "router" is actually built into the DSL modem
> case, making for a different sort of connection to the NIC.  I think it
> is the standard SBC (phone company) choice for DSL modems in order to
> make their automated Windows installer more trouble-free.
>   So, no LAN.

I think you may be able to have a LAN, if you want. Once you get things
working with you 5100b and one computer, you get a 'hub' and install it
between the 5100b and your first computer.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net